You are Not Your Brain
You are Not Your Brain by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, M.D., and Rebecca Gladding, M.D.
The 4-Step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking and Taking Control of Your Life You Are Not Your Brain not only breaks down why we're plagued by habits that aren't in line with our ultimate goals but also provides the guidance and support for change through their Four Step method.
Two neuroscience experts explain how their 4-Step Method can help identify negative thoughts and change bad habits for good. A leading neuroplasticity researcher and the coauthor of the groundbreaking books Brain Lock and The Mind and the Brain, Jeffrey M. Schwartz has spent his career studying the human brain. He pioneered the first mindfulness-based treatment program for people suffering from OCD, teaching patients how to achieve long-term relief from their compulsions. Schwartz works with psychiatrist Rebecca Gladding to refine a program that successfully explains how the brain works and why we often feel besieged by overactive brain circuits (i.e. bad habits, social anxieties, etc.) the key to making life changes that you want-to make your brain work for you-is to consciously choose to "starve" these circuits of focused attention, thereby decreasing their influence and strength.
You Are Not Your Brain carefully outlines their program, showing readers how to identify negative impulses, channel them through the power of focused attention, and ultimately lead more fulfilling and empowered lives.
Replacement Value: $27
1. You Are Not Your Brain;
2. Using Your Mind to Change Your Brain: The Power of Self-Directed Neuroplasticity and Meaningful Goals;
3. Why Habits Are So Hard to Break;
4. Why These Sensations Feel So Real: The Biology of Deceptive Brain Messages;
5. A New Sens of Self: Overcoming Your Deceptive Brain Messages with the Four Steps;
6. Ignoring, Minimizing and Neglecting: How Deceptive Brain Messages Distort Your View of Yourself;
7. Moving Forward with the Four Steps: Tips and Recommendations; 8. You Can’t Change What You Can’t See: The Power of Awareness and Step 1: Relabel;
9. Changing Your Relationship to Deceptive Brain Messages with Step 2: Reframe;
10. Reframing Your Thinking Errors;
11. The Power Is In the Focus: Step 3: Refocus;
12. Progressive Mindfulness and Step 4: Revalue;
13. What Is Going On Here? Is This a True Emotion or an Emotional Sensation?;
14. Using the Four Steps to Help You Move Forward in Your Life;
15. Putting It All Together